The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) partnered with QuantiaMD to develop an Addiction Medicine in Primary Care lecture series. In eight brief presentations, the Nation’s leading experts—including Dr. Nora Volkow, Director of NIDA—provide information about addiction research, responsible opioid prescribing practices, reimbursement for screening and brief intervention, and characteristics of medications used to treat alcohol and drug use disorders.
Each 5 to 10 minute presentation covers important topics related to substance abuse that every clinician should be informed about, including:
- The risks and benefits of prescribing opioids
- Drug and alcohol use, detection, intervention, treatment methods, and medications
- Adolescent substance abuse
- Substance use disorders and HIV
- How addiction affects the brain
Viewing one or all of these short presentations offers clinicians insights and guidance that can be easily applied in daily practice to improve patient care.