Petros Levounis, MD, MA | Rutgers New Jersey School of Medicine
Carla Marienfeld, MD | University of California – San Diego
Bachaar Arnaout, MD | Yale School of Medicine
Sponsor: American Psychiatric Association (APA)
The webinar provides a clear presentation of Motivational Interviewing that is readily transferable to everyday clinical practice. Motivational Interviewing is a clinical style for engaging patients in treatment, enhancing motivation to reduce substance use, and supporting adherence to recommended behavioral or pharmacological treatments.
The session presents the origins of Motivational Interviewing; describe its fundamental concepts, such as spirit, processes, and core skills; demonstrates the use of Motivational Interviewing; offers practical ways to integrate MI with other psychosocial and pharmacological approaches; and discusses incorporating Motivational Interviewing as communication style in consultative, administrative, supervisory and educational settings. Participants will gain a practical foundation of Motivational Interviewing that can be readily applied and further enhanced with practice.
Accreditation and Designation
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to access the session recording and claim credit through the APA Learning Center:
- Go to: http://education.psychiatry.org/Users/ProductDetails.aspx?Activityid=4903&ProductID=4903
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase”. This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.