Presenter: Lisa Najavits, PhD
Professor of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine
Adjunct Professor, University of Massachusetts Medical School
Sponsor: American Psychiatric Association (APA)
Seeking Safety is an evidence-based counseling model designed for trauma and/or addiction. The focus is to help clients learn new coping skills to attain greater safety in their lives. It is a present-focused model that has been widely implemented with homeless, criminal justice, transition age youth, and seriously mentally ill populations.
This presentation will describe the model and offer a summary of new findings and clinical expansions. New developments include peer-led Seeking Safety; use of the model with adolescents, for gambling disorder, and with sertraline medication; and various studies including military and military veterans. Additional initiatives include mobile apps related to Seeking Safety; new translations; and various training and other materials. Dr. Najavits will discuss how such developments arose in relation to the broader field of trauma/addiction and trauma-informed care.
Accreditation and Designation
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
How to obtain your CME Credit/Certificate of Completion
CME Credit Certificates or Certificates of Completion are available to those who complete an evaluation. Please follow the instructions below to access the session recording and claim credit through the APA Learning Center:
- Go to: http://education.psychiatry.org/Users/ProductDetails.aspx?Activityid=4894&ProductID=4894
- Login to your existing APA account or create a new account if you don’t already have one
- Click “Access Activity”
- Select your certificate type and confirm your choice via the pop-up window (Note: You may need to disable pop-up blockers)
- Review the Activity Overview and CE Information sections
- Click “Purchase”. This course is free, but you must still complete the checkout process.
- From your order confirmation page, select “Access Course”
- Complete the View Content, Quiz, and Evaluation sections
- Select and Save the number of credits on the Certificate section and review your certificate.